Friday, December 09, 2005

(Please).....We are Indians.

At JFK Air- India check in counter- a loooooong line with even bigger suit cases and luggage.
(Being a smart ass, I didn't have any check in luggage so skipped the longer line..)
-Bumping into people you know.-Utsav, his brother Ankit, Nidhi P. and many other familiar faces I couldn't name!
-All indians get up when an announcement is made for boarding families with children or people with special needs, cloggin the enterence.
-Being told to switch of my phone while handing over my boarding pass- Indian planes are extra sensitive to these, you see
-after joking abt it with a frd, an old guy standing behind giving us a lecture on why people should follow rules.
-sitting next to an indian lady who refuses to recognize my presence.
-competing with people in finding space to put my small back-pack and a carry bag.
-laughing at fights breaking out for space.
-Flight takes off 40 minutes late.
-As the plane takes off suddenly a baby cries right into your ear from behind.
-At cruzing altitude, the lady next to me askes me suddenly-"isko peeche kaise karte hain" (I politely pushed the button for reclining the chair.)
-After a so-so meal and in deep sleep, woken up by the air-hostess abrubtly to be asked "tea please, coffee please"
-seeing a line for the rest room right after the meals.
-The video system in the plane fails.
-When they try fix it, all they could find is safety videos to play.
-The reading light is aimed at the next seat not yours.
-In the plane, discovering that there is actually a stop over at New-Delhi apart from London.
-At London stop-over, we are running about 20 mins late.
-Re-entering the air plane, quickly placing your bags in the over head before any fights.
-an hour late in taking off.
-given up on repairing the video system.
-smart enough to have a back up and watch a movie on your laptop.
-at new-delhi, no announcements on whats going to happen.
-further delay of one hour.
-2 new ladies replace the old lady and like her, refuse to say a word.
- last 2 hours hardest to kill.
- Landing in Mumbai, before the plane stops, people rushing to get the luggage or else it the guy next seat will beat him in the race and win a ferrari car with a big trunk.
-Racing to get first into the immigration counter
-Beating the whole plane as I get out of the airport first- NO WAITING 5 HRS FOR BAGGAGE :p
-getting out of the airport and intuativly saying no to all taxi and hotel offers.

Finding no familiar faces among hundreds, a few calls from PCO booth (luckily I was carrying indian currency) and I saw my brother.

YES I AM HOME!!!!

PS- the please in the title is in brackets because not a single time it was used when asking for a favor in the event above, although I have to assume it was said multiple times and they(indians) really mean it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home