Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Home Coming!

Yesterday I came back from Delhi, after visiting my home town - Muzaffarnagar. I have been to Muzaffarnagar almost every year since we shifted to Bombay, but this time I saw it a little differently. This time I felt I was visiting a small town, with people having a small town thinking. I think one of the reasons for looking at it differently is me living in US for 2 years, and lately thinking about these things.....especially after many long talks with Nicole (for her project) on India and my life.
But I really fail to understand certain things. Consider this:
Muzaffarnagar is ranked among the top five for highest per capita income in India.
This district contributes about 50% of India's sugar production.
According to latest survey, its literacy rate is more than 86%- much above the national average.

Any body would think it is vibrant city on progressive track. But this city also has the highest crime rate in India. The city is known for its lawlessness. The people here are known to be caste biased and I would say more traditional. Although beliefs may be traditional, there is little or no respect amongt the society. I don't get it.....an educated, wealthy and hard working society acting and behaving in the crudest way. why would that be?

Anyways, I had little time to think abt these things there...I was meeting so many people all the time, relatives, dad's friends and many more new people. Some of these city scenes amused me so I took some photographs.Traffic moves fast with cycle-rickshaws and bullock carts.Food being prepared on traditional angithi!
An ad in the local paper- may be me and Ankit should try this instead!
A dal's brandname is Miss India, haha. And the bori is used as a door mat!This photograph speaks Muzaffarnagar. A rifle and cartridges on a salad table! (this is no photoshop, nor the gun is fake and the cartridges are live)

Theres more I want to write on the blog, but i'll keep that for other posts.


1 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i m 4m meerut near muzaffarnagar, i no how pepole liv there,they also don wanna liv this terrible life, but they r forced liv... they r very poor, even don hav money to eat food. sometimes r feel like crying when i see them... why this... diya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home