Friday, January 27, 2006

Thank God its Malaria.

Finally after being sick for almost 20 days, I am healthy and almost back to normal life. Going through anti-biotics, asprins, paracetemols, tylenols, Ibuprofen and 2 bloodtests...the doctor(s) were clueless about whats wrong with me and why am I getting high fevers over and over again. Then, they gave me Malaria medicines....even though it wasn't confirmed. This time I was really hoping that it is malaria...so I can get cured atleast. coz if it isn't malaria what the hell is it? And since I couldn't take care of myself here, I went to Austin, Tx, where I relished on peaceful life at my cousin's home, with home food and lots of movies to watch or just lie on the couch reading.
Also at Austin, I was in touch with 3 doctors- one my cousin's friend, one from India and my dad himself who I can call a Dr. without a degree, hehe. Only after all three agreed, I was taking my medicines, sleeping, resting and keeping the three up to date. Finally the moment came, I had NO fever for 2 straight days. IT WAS MALARIA, YES! I thought it was all over and was ready to pack my bags and head back to school, but the three said No. I had to have 48 crucial hours of complete bed rest and see that the fever never comes back. coz if it did, it was something very serious and I would be flying back to India for further treatment. My cousin didn't let me leave the house either. And I think that was a really a good decision. For one, I finished watching the whole season one of Lost and got totally hooked on to it. 2nd, my Jijaji was coming to Austin, and I got to meet him and get all the goodies that my sister sent me. 3rd I got to do a little shopping and spend more time with my cousin!

The biggest loss for me from this 20 days of sickness was not the time or missing school or feeling sick....I lost weight :'( It took me one year to put on just a little weight and I lost all that in 20 days. And I feel weak and low on energy too. This was the biggest side effect of malaria medicines- loss of appetitie. And this will go on for another 14 days, since I am still on medication to prevent another attack from the virus that might be hiding in my liver now. And that means no Alcohol either....
Oh well, after that....I am going to push my stomach to the limit, Eat a lot and a lot healthier. Work out like crazy and get that energy back.

This week has been good. I came back from Austin and had to face 2 exams and one practice one. I did great on all my exams and thats really boasted my hopes for this quarter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home